Open Space ,Self-Organizing Systems, and The Plexus Institute

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Tue May 27 13:34:17 PDT 2003

> --- GraceAnn <graceann at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> It's true...... we so often think we can be instruments of empowerment,
and yet we slide toward a "power over" role so often. Either we take over,
or we insist on someone else taking over. Paulo Freire had the right idea,
but it's so difficult to put his theory into practice. I look forward to
this dialogue. Grace Troisi

I just got back from a conference called Media that Matters.  During a
session, someone talked about how the left in the U.S. is so unwilling to
step into power.  That made a light bulb go off for me.  It is no wonder
that people who value social justice and dialogue and access for those who
are usually denied would have an aversion to the current definitions of
power.  What does "power over" do but create fear and oppression?  We've
sure lived out that theme for too long!

What I have found is the more I operate from power as love -- the power of
connection, relationship, the easier it is to fully own power and make
things happen.  What does it take for us to embody this defintion of power?

Kerry -- I think you're on to something by suggesting an exploration of
decision making and participation in dialogue.  I would add the dynamics
with power into that mix.

in sunny Seattle,
Peggy

Peggy Holman