AW: 2108 -- Remember the Number

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon May 12 05:48:37 PDT 2003

At 10:30 AM 5/12/2003 +0200, Erich wrote:
>But we know, that one of the conditions of self-organization is a
>"nutrient enviroment". And here we come again to the question what is
>possible and appropriate in a certain context.
>
>For sure it would not been appropriate to skip, for example, the catering
>supply for  2108, though in my opinion catering is not essential to Open
>Space. People would have survived one day without food easily, maybe a
>little uncomfortable, but would have survived.
>
>So what is appropriate? It is appropriate to leave the comfortzone and
>bring in challenges to stimulate people to move by themselves.  But I
>would not support a philosophy of slimming down to nothing, without
>looking at the circumstances

"Appropriate" and "sufficient" are things that the people themselves must
decide, I think. There is an easy test -- tell the folks what the
conditions are and they will decide whether to come. For example
food/catering was good at Wuerzberg, but I have certainly done OS's where
there was neither. In one case when we were working with a whole town,
people were invited to come for the day and bring their lunch. Most people
brought little brown bags or picnic hampers. Those who did not either went
hungry, mooched off the others, or went out to find something. Worked fine.
However, if we had promised a 5 course meal and had nothing -- problems for
sure.

ho

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive