AW: 2108 -- Remember the Number

Erich Kolenaty e.kolenaty at transformation.at
Mon May 12 01:30:02 PDT 2003

Hi all!

Harrison wrote

There is never a point to making people uncomfortable. And for sure if the
resources (chairs, flip charts etc) are available, certainly they should be
used.  But as you noted above -- very little of all that is essential. My
questions are always -- What is possible? and What is appropriate ? And I
know from long experience (sorry for the "elder" statement) that the people
will not only survive -- but thrive. There is another consideration: The
more you do for somebody, the less they have to do for themselves. I am by
no means advocating being hard-nosed and nasty, but I have often noted that
adversity is often the mother of invention. Adversity can even heighten and
sharpen the experience.

And here we are close together again:
It is very important to be aware what is really essential. To know what to
to keep carrefully in, anyway. Würzburg for example showed, that it is not
esssential to provide chairs for this kind of folks.

My philosophie from my work as trainer-trainer always was  "Never do, what
people can do by themselves". Sounds a little bit like your formula, isn't
it?

But we know, that one of the conditions of self-organization is a "nutrient
enviroment". And here we come again to the question what is possible and
appropriate in a certain context.

For sure it would not been appropriate to skip, for example, the catering
supply for  2108, though in my opinion catering is not essential to Open
Space. People would have survived one day without food easily, maybe a
little uncomfortable, but would have survived.

So what is appropriate? It is appropriate to leave the comfortzone and bring
in challenges to stimulate people to move by themselves.  But I would not
support a philosophy of slimming down to nothing, without looking at the
circumstances

Erich