2108 -- Remember the Number

Gabriela Ender gabriela.ender at OpenSpace-Online.com
Fri May 9 01:20:56 PDT 2003

Dear Hans-Georg,

thank you for your wonderful describtion and your interesting impressions...
I can really feel your joy by reading your eMail!

Have a nice weekend!
Gabriela

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hoinka/Wicke
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 10:40 PM
  Subject: AW: 2108 -- Remember the Number

  Dear Gabriela,

  I am surprised about myself. Usually I don't participate so much actively in the debates in OS-Lists, but after the Würzburg OS it is different - I feel even more enthusiastic about OS than before. I don't know whether this effect will last longer, I'll see.

  Being part of the 2108-OS as an assistant there are two things I learned, which are very essential for me in my own role as an OS facilitator (I am sure for most of you it's nothing new, but for me it was really a learning experience):

  Firstly: In Würzburg I have learned that we need nothing more than the circle, the market place, bulletin board... to get an OS working. No chairs, no pinboards, no flipcharts, no report forms, no signs, no break out rooms, no fineliner, no copies, no pillows etc. 2108 people have proofed that they are perfectly able to organise themselves. Everything was reduced to the max in Würzburg, we needed only 45 minutes to put all our material for this giant OS in a normal car. And after that I would say that it could have been less or even nothing. The crowd would have been able to cope with that without any problems. Thats for me as an OS facilitator very relieving and reassuring,  especially for the preparation of an OS and in the case the resources (in terms of finances, staff, facilities, space, time, material) are limited.

  Secondly: But, but, but I see my role as OS facilitators to create working conditions which enable the group to concentrate on their issues as much as possible - and not to distract people. chairs instead of pillows to sit comfortably, enough chairs to have a seat and not to search for, break out rooms to work in immediately, pinboards to work with and to get more silence in the break out rooms, signs to find the rooms easily, fineliners, markers and paper to notice things in the moment they come into my mind, report forms as a help to write down the most important results of the work, copies to be able to follow what happens or has happend, flipchart paper to enable participants visualise group discussions, to get something to eat all the time in order not to be hungry but also not tired and so on, and so on. As a participant in a lot of OS I have always enjoyed (and still do) very much this easiness - for the duration of the OS I have the chance to take care for nothing else than my passion.

  We have been working very often and succesful as an organisation with embeded OS. >From that perspective there is a lot to say - but later in a seperate email.

  Hans-Georg Wicke