2108 -- Remember the Number

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed May 7 09:56:26 PDT 2003

I think the basic answer to your questions Gabriela, for me any way is:
good preparation, good preparation and good preparation.

The better prepared we are, the easier it is to hold space, because we
have no regrets about anything, and we (the facilitators) are able to
relax into that pure form of being with the group that we call "holding
space."  In times when I haven't been able hold space like I have wanted
to, it was due to the fact that there were thoughts eating away at my
peace of mind.  In almost every case, better preparation on my part, or
the part of the sponsors and me, would have taken care of that.

It works well when people are really clear on what is being done and
when the four conditions are present: passion, diversity, urgency,
complexity.  It "just works" when these four are present in less deep
quantities.  (Note to Wilberians: depth not span.8 can have greater
depth than 1000).

And in terms of lessons learned for embedding Open Space in another
conference format, the first one would be, as Harrison and Michael did,
to do it last.  As for the more subtle realms, I can point you to a
paper I did as a report on using Open Space as a track for an
international conference last year.  You can download the PDF at
http://www.chriscorrigan.com/ifoam/ifoamreport.pdf.  The paper includes
a report on what happened at the conference and recommendations for
using OST in the future.

Cheers,

Chris

---