2108 -- Remember the Number

Gabriela Ender gabriela.ender at OpenSpace-Online.com
Wed May 7 00:37:22 PDT 2003

Dear Harrison, and dear Michael!

Congratulations to this amazing record!!! I am happy to know, that you are very pleased with the run of your big Open Space!

For me, OST with 10 people is always so very different as with 30. And OST with 90 participants is also so different as with 150. And an one-day is so different to a two, or three-day OST. And it is so different, if you have your "own" Open Space or if it is combined with another event.

What do you think, is there also a special difference between 1000 and 2000? What I know is, that your OST was an one-day-event at the end of a very big 4-days-conference. With your new experiences of today - what have you learned about that imbedded setting?

I would very much appreciate to learn more from your work, and I am curious about the longer effects.

Best wishes
Gabriela
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Harrison Owen
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 5:12 PM
  Subject: 2108 -- Remember the Number

  Michael Pannwitz and I, along with a marvelous crew of Open Spacers entertained some 2108 delegates to a congress in Wuerzberg, Germany. We in fact had the whole system in the room, and it was glorious. 2108 is our number, and there doesn't seem to be an official one, so I'll take it. Anyhow, there were a whole bunch of people. According to Michael, who counts such things, some 236 issues were posted, of which 150 ended up with reports. And of course, the whole agenda was created in about 35 min. Michael held the microphone, and ran the folks through like cattle. Respectfully, of course. At times there were more than a hundred people waiting to announce their issue, and the cue curled double on itself. I know Michael was in there somewhere, but you sure couldn't prove it by sight.

  The majority of the people present spoke German, so Michael and I did a duet. The program said that Michael would translate for me -- but I quickly disabused folks of that notion. I told them that Michael would do his thing, and i would do mine -- and with luck we would end up at the same place. Major fun!

  Break Out areas were designated by numbered balloons, and the signs, butterflys and bumble bees flew through the air with their own magic balloons. Michael's idea, which was superb.

  Lots of learning -- including the fact that OS for 2000 works just like always. Not a problem. And of course Michael and I would be pleased to answer any questions that pop up in your fertile imaginations.

  Harrison

  Harrison Owen
  7808 River Falls Drive
  Potomac, MD 20854 USA