OS with kids - please advice

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Tue May 6 09:14:32 PDT 2003

I wonder if it would help to look more deeply at how we structure the
planning for an OST with children and youth.  I'm thinking it might be
helpful to think in terms of multiple sponsors, all of whom need
attention and input before the event.  I think I might even meet with
them separately in three groups: the adults, the youth (12 - 18), and
the children (6 - 11).

If a particular group identified a particular need (like art or music),
then they would also have the opportunity to identify how to get that
need met. (And I'll bet the adults would be surprised and enchanted by
the new ideas that would emerge.) Passion bounded by responsibility
would start in the planning, setting the stage for even greater
responsibility and deeper learning during the event itself.

These are just my ruminations..... I haven't ever tried it this way with
people under the age of 12.

Julie