convergence with

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Tue Mar 11 14:47:01 PST 2003

Hi Winston,

Thanks for your reaction.

Last week my client was a cooperative (association of producers in
agriculture).
This was a 1.5 day event. For the first day they had invited 30 guests - 25 of
whom turned up:
suppliers, main clients, advisors, their bank manager, their marketing
consultant, some university people. The evening and the second morning we were
15: the Board and the key employees.

The central theme was “After many succesful years we are now in a period of
stagnation: how do we
move the curve upward again ?”

In all of the stories, the curve had actually gone up - on some things the
storytellers agreed, on others not
but then they had half a day left to decide about the details.

One example was that someone had realised that if nearly all who were invited
had come, probably they
would not have to do all the follow-up alone either.

And as for the instruction, I have no clear answer.

The group last week prepared in threes. I believe everyone was involved.

But by the end of the first day of an OS where there is only a couple of hours
for convergence the next day I have sometimes said that the evening program
was not structured as the best thing for some can be to drink 2 bottles of
good wine, others to swim 50 laps in the pool, walk in the forest, ..... ,
write a short story about ......, and whatever everyone can think of.

Some stories then turn up in morning news. But then, maybe most would anyway ?

But I most often have used it when I facilitate an OS which is only one day
and I have a follow-up meeting with a smaller group to review and look at
follow-up. I will then suggest everyone to prepare a 3 minute speech as it
seems to work, it is fun and it still mostly uses intuition and energy. In a