more convergence talk

Doris Gottlieb dlgottlieb at chello.nl
Mon Mar 10 12:25:54 PST 2003

HI,
I had one experience of setting the theme right before an OST event. I lead
a training a few months ago for refugee women involved in what they call
here in the Netherlands "Self-Organizations" (which means organizations for
and by the target group they are meant to serve - interesting name actually
now that I come to think of it.  The training was about how to set
organizational strategy. As part of the training I decided to do a short (4
hour) OST with the double goal of giving people the opportunity to think
creatively about the way to confront their challenges of setting strategies
in their different organizations and of ways to find synergy between the
organizations, as well as to expose them to OST as a way of working
(something I felt deeply that they could benefit from).  I decided to place
the Open Space "event" at the end of the training and during the first two
days one of the things we did was explore together what the theme could be
for them to explore together.  We did this both explicitly through
discussion and I guess also implicitly due to the tone of the whole training
and how we all felt being there together.  The evening before the last day
we decided on the topic and the next morning the 10 women present posted 11
themes that they handled in the 4 hour time period.

For this sort of small group, this worked well - especially because I had
limited access to the whole group prior to the training. In my contracting
discussion with the client I only had access to one person and I wasn't
convinced that together we could come up with a theme that touched the whole
group at that moment.

When I think about setting the theme this way, I realize that part of my
reason for doing it like this was that I felt I needed access to more
members of the system in order for us to really examine the issues people
felt passion and responsibility for at that moment. What I've thought about
this is that the idea of getting a representation of the systems involved in
the OST seems for me to become important when setting the theme. At the
moment I'm thinking that if that can't be done until shortly before the
event itself it may be worth the wait...or for me it means that I have to
work that into my own contracting with the client - make sure there is a
broad representative group with whom to determine the theme of the meeting
and not fall back on the 1 or 2 people who may be contracting the event.

By the way, after having done the training with OST as the last element I
think if I were to do it again, I'd decide to do the entire training using
OST (with perhaps the option for people to ask me to hold a "session" of
training about specific items of interest to them that they felt they wanted
outside expertise on....)  -- of course then it wouldn't really be a
training in the classical sense....

Doris Gottlieb

Consulting for the
International Environment