A 30-minute OS

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Mon Mar 10 19:18:23 PST 2003

To our good friends--

This evening I was privileged to conduct a 30-minute OST event for The
Center for the Homeless in South Bend, Indiana.

There were about 60 people present. The theme I announced was a little idea
that came up after hearing the director of the Center saying his biggest
problem was restoring hope to people. The idea was to help one person
everyday. That might be with larger projects like painting a room at a
women's shelter, or smaller ones like giving a smile to someone who needs
one.

It was simply posters and markers and the stampede that Harrison has warned
us about.

This was during the residents' required every Monday evening meeting.
Didn't announce any principles or the law.

15-20 topics were posted--thoughtful ones like the young man who talked
about getting out of the way for people in wheelchairs or opening the doors
for them, and the older man who talked of doing good things in secret.

They had about 5 minutes to discuss their topics in groups, then I rang the
bells to get them back. A lot of people decided to not join groups. But 2/3
of the people by show of hands wanted to have more conversations on these
subjects.

The closing was simply whoever wanted to report on their group or say
something--in the three minutes we had.

It always works....

                              :-Doug. Germann