more convergence talk

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 8 04:45:18 PST 2003

Hi Listers

Fascinating discussion on convergence.  It has focused me on the
awesome challenge to translate creativity into action.  In this
sense, Open Space is a terrific platform to co-create future
possibilities and generate consensus and energy behind proposed
actions.  Unfortunately, unless a facilitator is invited by the
sponsor to continue working with participants, it is sometimes
difficult to find out what actually happened after an event.

I agree with Peggy's view that it would be much better for actions to
emerge from an event without a vote.  Sadly, we have never
facilitated anything beyond 1.5 days and have not experienced this
possibility.

In short events, we feel the vote is critical to establish a
departure point for things the participants felt were important.  It
seems essential for transparency and commitment, hopefully, leading
to ownership and eventual implementation.

So, we encourage sponsors to ask participants at the end of an event
to sign-up for more work to implement priorities, trying to keep the
door open and energy flowing.  Accordingly,  we are stuck with dot
voting, although it takes no more than 20 minutes for groups up to
100 to vote and another 10 minutes to tally and announce results
before going into a closing ceremony.

In the end, however, an event is the responsibility (ability to
respond) of the participants and sponsor.  The facilitator is very
limited in realising implementation if there is not enough goodwill,
commitment and motivation to take things forward,

Cheers

Kerry
Open Futures
Edinburgh