SV: Priorization in short time

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Sun Mar 2 07:53:53 PST 2003

Dear Lisa (and all of you others sharing).
I don´t view prioritization as a goal, but a means of achiving a picture of
where the energy is high. Right now I am "playing around" with different
ways to converge/prioritize.

I guess what bothers me in the actual case is that the theme for the
conference may become too wide to handle in a thorough way in a one-day OST
(I will work with the goup of managers coming Wendesday to set the theme but
I have got that impression from talking to the CEO). It also depends on how
open they will want it to get. They have some development-projects going to
get this organization a whole (used to be 20 selfgoverning parts) and they
may want the results of the OST to be merged into this, although opening up
space for more people to engage.

Actually, the key question may well be, how open do they want it to be? As
often I think they have not really thought it over, what do they want
besides a good conversation? They have scheduled a 2-day conference with all
staff 31/3-1/4. The first day is already full - the traditional way - and it
doesn´t seem they want to change the plan. Quite good input though for the
next day.

I have talked to the CEO about scheduling a follow up day to continue
working and to converge. Everybody wouldn´t have to nor be able to come, but
that´s OK, I think.
On the other hand it might go well to do in the same manner as I did a
couple of days ago. One problem being how we will manage to provide all 250
participants space to read proceedings. We will not be able to get everyone
a book before closing.

Last thursday-friday I facilitated an OST with 50 persons ("important"
municipal politicians and youth (Important, too, I guess)) from 16
municipalities met to talk about a the future of the Swedish "gymnasium" -
in Sweden that is year 10-13 of school. There is work being done for a
future major change and each municipality (and other interested) are to
write what they think about the put out proposal before June.

I had planned to let them make prioritization "the traditional way" to give
them a picture of what the hot issues were for them as a collective. I
changed my mind though (I guess partly after starting this thread) and gave
them time to sit down - politicians and youth from each municipality - and
think about what issues they want to take home to continue working with.
They wrote their issues on a piece of flip-chart and put it on the wall, had
a short report out, before closing. This was also included in "the book".
This worked very well, and it seems the hot issues became quite clear!

Also some municipalities decided to develope cooperation, some of the youths
were invited to by "their" politicians to come and present the findings from
the conference in the community. Further on there were many comments of the
value to have an open dialogue between politicians and youth in Open Space.
Greetings
Thomas Herrmann