Rome was one year ago - any news?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 12:28:13 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/26/03 12:01:02 PM, artsilva at mail.eunet.pt writes:

<< Polanyi once wrote (defining tacit knowledge) that "we know more that we

can say". On myself and on the others I use to compare what one says and

what one does (how one walks the talk). And I always think that what one

does is more important then what one says he does. Sometimes the two things

are completely different - even opposite. In some others, like in the case

of ho, the doing just slightly clarifies (and slightly transforms) the saying.

Artur--

In my 20+ years working as a facilitator (in Open Space and other forms),
there have been a number of times when I have realized, on the last morning of a
meeting, that where I thought we would go was not the place where we needed to
be, and I had to decide how to create a space for what was needed.  I think
that the rule book can only take us so far, and then we must be responsive to
the group and to our own intuition.

I also know that in teaching novices, we always "know more than we can say."
The handbook must cover the basics, but it cannot cover every possible
situation.

The group in Rome was doing difficult and painful work--maybe far more
painful than they had anticipated.  So Harrison's intervention, asking them to
choose again whether they wished to continue this difficult work, felt appropriate
to me.

My two cents' worth--

Joelle