Too Little Time

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Fri Jun 13 16:03:13 PDT 2003

Julie,
I'm practice doing 2 hours OSs though of course I would prefer the bigger time interval, so I usually do half an hour introduction + opening + topic setting then the two sessions of half an hour and letting people know that they can work any way they want if they don't finish the previous discussion except for the leaders of next sessions who should be on the right place at the right time and a half an hour closing session where I ask the participants to share their experience and insights

at least you will recieve the 'spectrum' of interests and target groups, they will find themselves later - what you propose for them, if nessassary, but hopefully they will do it themselves and the starting point will be made

I think it is really better then nothing, but of course not as a 2-3 day thinking, and in our country when people are not ready 'to think themselves' for a long time, I found they loose their temper and interest. also even they discussed things very emotionaly, they put a very few words on their report forms, the format of which helps them still to be focused not only on think tank issues but how to make next steps...I did use the 6W approach some time, but now use the simplier form (1/ topic, or project or question, 2/ leader, 3/ participants, 4/main ideas/what should be done 5/ resourses needed 6/ next steps) , which probably teach less, but still most of the time "next steps" are the empty space (they think that somebody should do it) but may be it is also not your case

best wishes and good luck

elena