"It always works" - revisited again

Judi Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Thu Jun 12 13:39:58 PDT 2003

Hi Doug....

The textbook was a "given" -- even to me as a Professor taking over at the
last minute.  I would read the chapter information and have additional
resources available for reading.  Students would read the material and come
to class with at least one question.  They were the sponsors and
participants.  The "theme" was the area law we were covering.  The givens
were the textbook and resources materials, that an evaluative opportunity
was pending (!), and if something came up that we needed clarification on,
I'd get it for them, and that course outcomes would be covered.  Note:
Attendance was part of the term mark!  When the space was open for topics
some students would use the question they brought with them from their
reading and research, and some would come up with new ones.  We would spend
a couple of hours and then they wanted to debrief their topic sessions to
the whole group.  At this time, I had to think on my feet.  As curriculum
requires that certain outcomes be covered -- I creatively would link their
discussions to chapter outcomes with their input.

We took about three or four classes to cover each chapter area.  The 2nd
class after the OST, students would apply the concepts learned to case law.
They would choose what case they wanted to work on and act like judges in
small group format.

The next class we would once again open space and the conversations would be
deeper.

The next class was an evaluative opportunity -- essay test or multiple
choice test.  Out of curiosity I even did a multiple choice test once with
sticky dots and topics on the wall -- then a selection of answers -- the
debrief was hilarious as they could see how each other was "voting" on the
test questions!

We also compiled a book of proceedings that they took with them at the end
of the year in their language rather than "legalese"!!

My department head was okay with what I was doing as I had built up a
reputation of "different" facilitating over the years -- preferring to be
the guide on the side, rather than the sage on the stage!  When he saw that
"marks" were coming out of it, it was okay.

Hope that helps!
Judi