About the next OSonOS and the OS site - the quest for a "global OS"

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 11 05:11:05 PDT 2003

At 12:57 AM 6/11/2003 +0100, Artur wrote:

>Some weeks ago in a private e-mail conversation with a colleague he told
>me, in a marginal comment, that "OST is mainly an American thing".  I have
>not commented that observation but I have been thinking about it... And
>there is one thing I am sure: many of us that are non-American and
>non-English-speakers are guilty of OST being still considered mainly "an
>American thing".

As usual, Artur, you stir up some wonderful conversation. Thanks -- and as
for This American Thing. . . there is no question that I am an American,
and that Open Space (at least by that name) was first used in The United
States. But the point of origin, so far as I am concerned, was only
happenstantially the USA. In fact the inspiration was all African. My two
Martinis took me to the (presently very sorry) country of Liberia, more
specifically the small village of Balamah. So if you will allow for a
little teleportation, I guess I would argue that Open Space is African.
However, and truth to tell, I could have gotten the same inspiration from
the Native Americans, and may other indigenous groups around the world, it
is only that my experience with my African friends just happened to pop
into mind (Was that the only thing that could have??? --- abstractly NO.
But practically -- YES. And I am very practical)

Anyhow -- over the years I have always been amazed how Open Space, with no
change (except in language), works just fine (always works -- so to speak).
I guess the majority of Open Spaces I attend (as opposed to facilitate)
take place in a language I don't know. And not all of them Northern
European -- Spanish, Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic -- for example.

And then when it comes to people on this LISTSERVE  -- I've never counted,
but my impression is that the vast majority are NOT American -- at  least
the ones who show up regularly aren't signing in from the good old USofA.

My guess is that Open Space has no nationality -- it is just a human thing.
Which would make sense if Open Space is in fact  self-organization rolling
out one more time. Seems like that (self-organization) has been going on
for some 14 billion years. Well before nations, languages, and all that
modern stuff. So being my natural, old, curmudgeonly self -- I persist in
the possible delusion that It always works -- It (OS) might even be the
only thing that could have (worked).

Harrison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive