"It always works" - revisited again

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Sun Jun 8 14:12:17 PDT 2003

Dear Julie,
I am not attempting to understand what you wrote but I certainly feel
inspirited and am sure that my experience bears out what you
expressed. Thanks.
greetings from thunderstorm after a steaming summerday berlin
mmp

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:45:19 -0800, Julie Smith wrote:

>Dear Artur ~
>
>For me, the "it always works" aspect of OST is the only possible outcome
>from any OST, not because of any particular "positive" or "negative"
>effect, but because during the time the OST is taking place, the group
>operates by proper principles, principles that honor the inherent wisdom
>of every person in the room, and that invite each person to express
>their wisdom in the manner of their choosing in the moment they're in.
>
>I don't think it matters if there is high energy or low energy.  Both
>are valid. (Note the growth of plants.  High energy in summer.  Low
>energy in winter.  Or bears.  Hibernation is necessary to growth and
>survival.  To all things a season....)
>
>I don't think it matters what level of passion and responsibility is
>evident.  It isn't particularly important that any of us express passion
>or take responsibility for something.  What IS important is that we each
>have the opportunity to authentically express whatever it is that calls
>out in us to be expressed.  If that expression in a particular context
>is lack of passion or responsibility, that is as valid as it's opposite.
>(I'm reminded of Thomas Edison, who conducted thousands of experiments
>before he created the light bulb that "worked."  Another way to see this
>progression is that each and every experiment "worked" in the sense that
>with each "failure" he learned something he didn't know before, and came
>closer to reaching his goal.  Thank goodness for "failure!")
>
>In terms of "did it work?" I also don't think it matters what happens
>after the OST. OST invites each of us to be fully present, fully "in"
>the moment we're in.  We aren't asked to participate in something
>planned by someone else in some other time, but to actively create our
>own experience in the unfolding moment we're in.  That is the radical
>difference that OST brings to group dynamics.  For me, THAT is
>sufficient for OST to "work."  It invites us to play with presence and
>Now in groups.  Even if no one in the room accepts the invitation to be
>fully present, the fact that the invitation was made is sufficient for
>me to feel it "worked."  Even if there is no apparent change or
>transformation in the group after the OST, or even if things appear to
>be worse, the invitation to presence and authenticity was given.  Some
>invitations need to be given more than once before they can be received.
>Every invitation matters, even if we can't perceive it's manifestation
>in the world.
>
>As I think more on the question of lasting impacts of OST, I realize
>that clearly, "later" isn't "now," so in some ways trying to pin down
>the future into a construct we interpret as positive contradicts the
>very principles of OST. When it starts is the right time, and by golly,
>when it's over, it's over. Creating conditions (if x happens, OST is
>successful) is not very OST-like.  I think we're bouncing between
> [...]

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.