"It always works" - revisited again

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Sun Jun 8 12:45:19 PDT 2003

Dear Artur ~

For me, the "it always works" aspect of OST is the only possible outcome
from any OST, not because of any particular "positive" or "negative"
effect, but because during the time the OST is taking place, the group
operates by proper principles, principles that honor the inherent wisdom
of every person in the room, and that invite each person to express
their wisdom in the manner of their choosing in the moment they're in.

I don't think it matters if there is high energy or low energy.  Both
are valid. (Note the growth of plants.  High energy in summer.  Low
energy in winter.  Or bears.  Hibernation is necessary to growth and
survival.  To all things a season....)

I don't think it matters what level of passion and responsibility is
evident.  It isn't particularly important that any of us express passion
or take responsibility for something.  What IS important is that we each
have the opportunity to authentically express whatever it is that calls
out in us to be expressed.  If that expression in a particular context
is lack of passion or responsibility, that is as valid as it's opposite.
(I'm reminded of Thomas Edison, who conducted thousands of experiments
before he created the light bulb that "worked."  Another way to see this
progression is that each and every experiment "worked" in the sense that
with each "failure" he learned something he didn't know before, and came
closer to reaching his goal.  Thank goodness for "failure!")

In terms of "did it work?" I also don't think it matters what happens
after the OST. OST invites each of us to be fully present, fully "in"
the moment we're in.  We aren't asked to participate in something
planned by someone else in some other time, but to actively create our
own experience in the unfolding moment we're in.  That is the radical
difference that OST brings to group dynamics.  For me, THAT is
sufficient for OST to "work."  It invites us to play with presence and
Now in groups.  Even if no one in the room accepts the invitation to be
fully present, the fact that the invitation was made is sufficient for
me to feel it "worked."  Even if there is no apparent change or
transformation in the group after the OST, or even if things appear to
be worse, the invitation to presence and authenticity was given.  Some
invitations need to be given more than once before they can be received.
Every invitation matters, even if we can't perceive it's manifestation
in the world.

As I think more on the question of lasting impacts of OST, I realize
that clearly, "later" isn't "now," so in some ways trying to pin down
the future into a construct we interpret as positive contradicts the
very principles of OST. When it starts is the right time, and by golly,
when it's over, it's over. Creating conditions (if x happens, OST is
successful) is not very OST-like.  I think we're bouncing between
paradigms here, but can't quite articulate what I mean by that.

For me, the OST invitation itself, the principles of OST, are a way of
truth-telling.  They tell a truth about what it means to be human.
Simply speaking them out loud, giving them away, "works."  Whatever
happens next is..... well, the only thing that could have, given
everything that is.

I think we tend to see "good" things happen during and after OST because
our nature and the nature of truth is "good."  When we're invited to
manifest who we are, we find we like what we see.  And.... most of us
also have a bit of not-truth and not-goodness to contend with.  If we
see THAT part emerge during or after an OST, then perhaps that isn't a
failure, but simply evidence of some of us learning something we didn't
know before, on our way to reaching our goal.

Leaving us with (whew!) It's All Good....  (with thanks to Chris C. for
introducing me to the unbidden hidden 5th Principle.... or perhaps it
isn't really another principle, but an outcome of the 4 Principles.....
yes, that's it..... OST always works because the 4 Principles always,
inherently work because they reflect the truth.  Truth, goodness, joy
and love are all the same.  Find one and you find them all.  OST
principles speak the truth about who we are and how we can properly
conduct ourselves with each other.  Therefore it works.  Every time.)
Okay, I'll stop now.....

Julie