Illinois Food Security (was: Genetic Engineering ...)

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sun Jun 8 09:04:57 PDT 2003

hello artur,

Artur Ferreira da Silva wrote:

> At 23:55 07-06-2003 -0500, Michael Herman wrote:
>
>  full proceedings at
>
>> http://www.globalchicago.net/foodsecurity second year they did their own
>> version of 'modified open space' this year one of the leading supporters
>> of full open space for this statewide community is planning the conf as
>> an ultratraditional event. she tells me that i'm still invited and that
>> after this year people will be dying for more opne space <grin> but i
>> digress.
>

> Hello Michael:
>
> Sorry to change the subject but there is something here that interests me
> even more...
>
> Can you please explain what were the "modifications" for the 2002 event,
> why have they decided to do it with "modifications" and what were the
> results? And, in your opinion, why are they changing the method for the
> event of 2003?

the mods were things like asking for topics in advance, finding students
to facilitate, etc... basic control stuff.  the did it because they
could.  and because they refused to omit a keynote speaker who spoke for
25 minutes instead of 10 and spent much of that time speaking to only
part of the crowd, his crowd, until we pulled him offstage with a big
hook.  got out to the center of the circle and then called to the
sponsor to get him a podium.  classic.  <grin>  set up a bit of a race
to the soapboxes... moral of the story, everything you ADD to the design
creates eddies, ripples, turbulence.  couldn't persuade them otherwise.
 the woman who's organizing it this year is tired of orgs not doing what
they say they are doing.   last year was not really open.  so this
year's agenda is not going to say it's open.  like i say, she and i are
both pretty sure that the result will be a genuine call for more opening.

> And also why do you think that the Web board and lists that have been
> created for follow up had low participation (144 messages, from
> 28/11/20001
> to 18/Feb/2002)?

low says you.  <grin>  the system was pretty difficult to use.  it was
offered by one participant at a university.  we'd had such a fine time
here on the boisestate space that i readily agreed to it.  not the same
ease.  and you do recall that sept/oct of 2001 was a time of massive
emailing.

bottom line is that the number one thing that everybody *continues* to
say about that conference is that we brought together an amazingly
diverse group of people and that everyone keeps talking about how
everyone is still talking.  lots of side projects and new relations
started.   the other moral... we really do live in open space!

michael h

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates