OS deliverables for medical folks

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 10 14:32:29 PDT 2003

Hello, all -

I have been planning an Open Space 1.5 day conference with a client -
New Directions for Integrating Services For the Incarcerated and Their
Families.
This conference will be for about 75 medical clinicians (some who are
staff of hospitals and other medical facilities 'outside' and some who
are based 'inside' prisons and jails) who specialize in medical issues,
mental health, addiction, treatment, diagnosis, and overall challenges
of providing care in a prison/jail context.

You've been through this before, and so have I - we had a planning
meeting and it was a go ahead for a full Open Space conference, then a
few weeks passed and I got a trouble message from my client (the doctor
convening this conference and a great appreciator of Open Space) that
went something like this:

"most of the docs on the planning committee are leery of using Open
Space for the entire day and a half conference.  Like the idea of at
least 1 session or portion, but the feedback was that they expect the
prison/jail providers to be especially uncomfortable with such a dynamic
process and that even if they liked it on 1 level (being able to voice
their opinions and display their expertise) they would be suspicious and
uncomfortable with the departure from the top down model they are so
used to.  I think 1 of the prison MDs felt that many of his colleagues
would be watching for a sense of "expertise" in the traditional sense
and will feel that it will end up in poor word of mouth if there is no
labeled "moderator" or "leader" of sessions."

Of course I will be talking to my client about how to write up the
conference in the words of deliverables, topics that will be discussed,
big important people who will be there to talk about specific things,
expertise words and such, as one can do for an OS event to speak to a
culture such as this.

But as usual, it will help my client talk to her planning committee if
she has more concrete examples of experts / expertise / measurable
outcomes / cutting-edge research being discussed /
research-science-treatment-you get what I mean.

Anybody care to share a few lines describing powerful outcomes and
expertise in an Open Space with similar folks?

Thank you, marvelous you,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator