OS use - looking for similar use history

Tim Lannan tim at timlannan.com
Tue Jul 15 06:54:54 PDT 2003

I have had a couple of occasions where I adapted OST in an abbreviated
fashion, and it seemed to work quite well.  The most recent was a two-day
conference in Lithuania where the first day-and-a-half were devoted to
presentations by doctors and medical students (despite requests from the
convenors to make these participatory and interactive, almost all were
essentially lectures using PowerPoint).  After lunch on the second day, I
opened up the space so that participants (who were also doctors or medical
students) could identify issues around which they had passion that might
continue the work begun at the conference.  The shift in energy in the
ensuring self-directed, smaller group discussions was almost palpable.  This
was the first time most participants had the opportunity to really work
together - and to do so in their native language (almost all the presenters
were from the US and presented in English; participants were either
Lithuanian or Latvian; simultaneous translation was done in English/Russian
- at least one of which was a second languages for participants.  In the
self-formed groups, they worked out translation issues among themselves.)
With two hours, we did two sessions back-to-back, but I think one would have
worked.  Each group was asked to capture key points on newsprint and then
briefly share highlights orally with the full group.  The information on the
newsprint was later transcribed and shared with all participants.  More
importantly, however, participants were able to identify and spend some time
working with others who had shared interests, which provided a basis for
what promised to be ongoing collaborations and a foundation for change,
which were underlying objectives of the event.   Interestingly, because the
conference was scheduled on a Friday/Saturday, several participants did not
return for the second day; those who were there on Saturday must have been
the right people.  Best,

tim

tim at timlannan.com