Local Practice Group (long)

BrendanMcKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Sat Jul 5 10:03:38 PDT 2003

G'day folks

Alongside the current fascinating conversation about OS origins and form,
I'd like to share my wee bit of passion about the ongoing story of our
local OS practice Group here in Perth, Western Australia - called Keeping
the Space Open (KTSO)...

It began after Michael Herman's (that flippity-jib again :) visit in
October last year - and the first OS facilitator training in Western
Australia - one of the Action Plans emerging from the OS session in the
training prog was to create an ongoing practice group so that new trainees
could have a safe space in which to confirm their skills and learn more
about OS - two of the trainees offered to coordinate and I offered to take
the role of 'the sponsor'  - we acquired a low-cost venue from a local NGO,
set a date (about three months after the training), a time (4.30 - 7.30pm
with snacks/tea/coffee available) and theme (sharing our curiosities and
learnings about OST) and a suggested donation of $10 per person to cover
costs.

We circulated those who had attended the training, others who had expressed
interest in, or any curiosity about, OST and put it out through a few local
community networks - including the local Govt / Public Service List serve.
We anticipated about twenty people coming - over forty showed up and we had
a great evening. One of the trainees opened and held the space - our
time-frame was as follows:

4.30 - 5.15     Welcome and Opening
5.15 - 6.00     Session I
6.00 - 6.45     Session II
6.45 - 7.30     Closing Circle

(snacks and drinks were available - in the same room - from 5.15 onwards)

Convenors were invited to record conversations and send them to us for
circulation to those who attended.
 From this session, five people registered for the next OS Facilitator
co-learning workshop which I offered in April this year.

At this workshop, we invited anyone who wished to become involved in
arranging and facilitating the next KTSO - four people wished to and
subsequently organised our second session held a couple of evenings ago -
same time, same venue, same cost (we had $100 left over from the previous
session after all catering, venue and material costs had been covered) same
circulation - with the theme (after much email dialogue between the four of
us) emerging as: 'facilitating healing and growth in our organisations'.

And once again, to our surprise (by now we are well prepared for such
surprises...), forty people registered and more showed up on the night -
ended up with about 45. One of the trainees was 'the coordinator', another
the sponsor' and another 'the facilitator'. Another great evening of
conversation, camaraderie and conviviality....and the space remains open...

We will have two further OS facilitator co-learning workshops here this
year and at least one further KTSO session.

I am so thrilled that there is so much interest and energy locally - it
feels like the practice of peace is rippling through the chilly winds of
winter here in the south west corner of the antipodes...

Thanks for your encouragement, support and solidarity around the planet

Blessings to all
Brendan