everything WE know about ost...

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Fri Jul 4 13:20:18 PDT 2003

I'm catching up on a few weeks list reading and ran across Michael's story
of the beginnings of open space on the Internet.

I'll add one obscure, but important item to the the beginnings.

In 1996, we announced the start of the Open Space Institutes (Canada and the
US both early entries thanks to a cross-the-country trip by Harrison,
bringing the idea with him as he traveled west from Toronto to Seattle.  (My
memory is a bit fuzzy on this -- but I think Australia followed shortly
thereafter.)

Early on, an e-mail announcement went out to the small electronic list we
had at the time.  It was, after all, still quite early in the adoption of
these technologies that are so integral to our community today.  One person,
who remains totally present and absolutely invisible, Murli Nagasundaram,
whom I have still never met in person, was moved to do two things:

1.  He set up this OSlist, now in its 7th!! year; and
2.  He created our first web page.  It was a simple placeholder but it was
the first.

The web page is long gone, but Murli, via Boise State University is still
our listserv host.

and to the question about Open Space Institute as an NGO:
"and yes, whatever did happen to that little initiative?"

My recollection is that it met with that essential apsect of open space:
action happens where there is passion and a willingness to take
responsibility.  The idea was discussed, we even had someone with experience
in doing the paperwork.  There simply wasn't interest once OSonOS ended.
The double rainbow and calling ourselves worldwide was enough.

Greetings from Seattle, where hummingbirds' wings sparkle in the sunlight,
Peggy