givens about vocabulary

John Engle john at theexperiment.info
Sat Jul 12 08:17:12 PDT 2003

hi michael.

i appreciate learning some of our community's history
around the word practitioner. this is very helpful for
me.

at the same time, i'd like to suggest that anyone who
wants to can "mess with it" if s/he discovers that it
doesn't work well in his or her context or with
his/her community.

thus, for me, if birgitt wishes to use a different
word both in her work and on the oslist, this is
absolutely fine with me. i just hope that it is also
fine with people when i use some terms that our
english speaking community in haiti might have
determined to be appropriate, but which are not
necessarily accepted as the standard by the
international community. if this happens, it might
require some clarification which i would think, would
not be a problem.

what are your thoughts on this?

john

--- Michael Herman <mherman at globalchicago.net> wrote:
> btw, i got curious today and went on a little
> search, because i find the
> terms 'practitioner' and 'practice' very helpful...
>
> so today i find that in the oslist archives, the
> word practitioner shows
> up as far back as the very first archived post....
> march 1998... and
> from the frequency and use after that, i am sure
> that it was in common
> use long before then.
>
> the chicago osonos announced in august 1998 was the
> first osonos to be
> called a practitioner conference, so called to alert
> potential attendees
> that this would be something other than training.
>
> the original openspaceworld site had a bulletin
> board section that had a
> forum called 'practitioner directory.'  this space
> and label,
> established in july of 1999, was ported over to the
> new site late last year.
>
> so this is some of the history of this word in our
> circles.  it seems a
> little late to mess with it.
>
> mh
>

> John Engle wrote:
>
> >birgitt, my english speaking colleagues and i use
> the
> >word practitioner here in haiti when speaking in
> >english.
> >

> --
>
> Michael Herman
> Michael Herman Associates
> 300 West North Avenue #1105
> Chicago IL 60610 USA
> (312) 280-7838
>
> http://www.michaelherman.com - consulting &
> publications
> http://www.globalchicago.net - laboratory &
> playground
> http://www.openspaceworld.org - worldwide open space
>
> ...inviting organization into movement

> Visit:

=====
Website: http://theexperiment.info
Sitentenet : http://eksperyansla.info
Site : http://Lexperience.info

s'inscrire dans un groupe qui pratique le Forum ouvert et 'Wonn refleksyon'
reseauforumouvert-subscribe at yahoogroupes.fr