Continuity of week-apart sessions?

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 28 06:55:38 PST 2003

Joelle--

We don't have enough reservations yet to know for sure, but we expect some
people to come to later sessions who were not at the first session. That
means Laurel's mention of the butterfly effect outside the meeting rooms is
probably accurate.

Alan--

The main sponsor wants very definitely to accomplish something. Their dream
is perhaps an on-going group that works toward improving healthcare for
seniors. Some of their concerns: Doctors talking to the child who
accompanies Mom to her appointment, rather than to Mom herself; Seniors who
come back from the Dr. untreated because they could not explain their
problem in the 3 minutes and 12 seconds the Dr. has for them; Seniors who
forget which medicine or salve to take or apply when; over-medication of
seniors; abuse of seniors.

Does that help explain the concept better?

We see this as being a core group who comes to all three sessions and tries
to work on ways to improve senior well-being. But our guess could be wrong
and we end up with three largely different groups. Whoever comes....

All the people are from the same geographic area, the same economic "home
base."

My sponsor has cold feet about just letting people set their own agenda. So
they have wanted to have different themes each day: Day 1--Identify the
problems; Day 2--suggest solutions; Day 3--decide which ones to work on.
That sort of a breakdown. To me, they all come out together and it seems
like shutting things down to me to so limit the discussions.

But that leads to the question, what sort of convergence? I like Michael
Herman's non-convergence, I think, here....

Brian--

Thanks, Brian. I suspect the same will happen here, especially if we open
space each time.

Ros--

Thanks! I agree the thread is quite informative!

                              :-Doug.