Help with Idea / Democratic Party - Internet - New Technology

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 13 08:28:18 PST 2003

At 10:57 AM 1/12/2003 -0500, Alan Silverman wrote:
>Having to physically travel to a specific place to participate in a
>process, this immediately cuts out almost everyone - the disabled, the
>poor, the dying, 99.9% of all of us,  from participation.  Which serves
>the individuals who control powerful institutions.  I want a virtual
>Washington D.C., a virtual UN.  I think it can be done, with specific
>technologies.

You are undoubtedly correct that the necessity to travel limits
participation. That said, there is also a large body of experience which
demonstrates that when Open Space is combined with virtual Open Space (and
after all the Internet is probably the biggest Open Space going) the
positive effects both ways are enormous. There are some folks who do much
better in a face-to-face environment, and there are others who fair better
in a virtual world. When these are connected and mutually supportive, the
results can be impressive. The Canadian experience, which Birgitt described
is a good example, and there are others. I think your proposal would be
much stronger, and the effect more powerful if it included both. You are
right -- the needed technology is definitely available, waiting only to be
used.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive