Help with Idea / Democratic Party - Internet - New Technology

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 11 14:02:56 PST 2003

Alan,
A story and recommendation

In 1995, in Canada, one of the 10 provinces had a referendum vote to
determine whether or not it wanted to leave the Country and be an
independent entity. The vote was 50.5 % in favor of remaining in Canada and
49.5% in favor of leaving the country. A very close vote. There were many
angry and grief stricken feelings throughout the country. The country in
general is one of the most peaceful nations on earth but there has been a
history regarding relationships with this one province that has included
violence and bad feelings that go a long way back. There is a different
language and culture in this one province than in the rest of Canada. Our
colleague Eleanor Belfry-Lytle called a meeting immediately after the vote,
while the country was feeling torn apart, to determine if there was any
interest on the part of any of us in the Toronto, Ontario area to use our
skills with Large Group/Whole Systems meetings to do something to assist the
Country to move to a better future. The initial ideas included one large and
highly publicized event in the capitol city. I remember suggesting, after a
talk with Harrison, that we invite all Large Group/Whole Systems
facilitators across the country to join us in offering a day (and the day we
picked was Feb 19th of 1996) to host a meeting called “For the Love of
Canada” and that the meeting format in each venue, if possible, be Open
Space Technology. Eleanor, Larry Peterson and myself were the primary
workers behind the scenes,  getting information out, getting press releases
to get media coverage, participating in media events about the project, and
so on. We had no budget, each of us giving what we could as a love offering.

As I sat in my office of those days, a windowless tiny space in our home
that I shared with four lively children and their friends, I remembered
laughing as I spent endless days in faxing, mailing, e-mailing and in
telephone conversations. The reason for my laughter was thinking, if these
people could only see where this was all taking place from to create a
better future for the country, they would be in disbelief (Larry and Eleanor
were in fairly similar situations of less than ideal conditions) and I
laughed also because I enjoyed our confidence that we could make a
difference. Each Larry, Eleanor, and myself also organized our own events in
our local area too. For me, I had the opportunity of being invited to have
events in four close municipalities and had them on the dates leading up to
Feb 19th. While all the planning was going on, the Mayor of my own
municipality called and spoke of his displeasure that he was hearing about
our event from others and why had I not contacted him to make sure our town
had an event—and after that call, we did organize a meeting for the 19th
itself to which he assured me all of town council would attend and they did.

It was key that we did not ask anyone for permission to do this, but
followed what had heart and meaning for ourselves.

The hundreds of  events on and around the 19th of February focusing on “For
the Love of Canada” were profound. Individuals responded to our invitation
and meetings were held and facilitated, some large, some small. I can’t
remember the media events that Larry and Eleanor did, but I do know that I
had the opportunity to get word out through interviews in newspapers, tv and
on national radio. Many many people had good ideas AND immediately put some
of them into action to bring about healing. Those of us who were involved
cannot tell you exactly what this event achieved, but we know that several
groups were formed for relationship building and healing that continue
today.

About a week after the Feb 19th  Larry and I co-facilitated an equivalent to
an OST meeting on line in a chat room for the national news magazine. The
meeting duration was three hours. At the end, we talked with the editor and
he said that in all his years he had never experienced such a positive
solution focused dialogue across the country as that which we facilitated.

The investment of our time to do this project was about a month of solid
work each (with lost revenue opportunity due to unavailability to take on
other contracts during that time). The cost for each of us was about $500.
The experience and the outcome: priceless.

The story and what I recommend to you  may or may not be helpful to you in
your thinking so please accept it as a perspective that I offer as a
possible way for you to achieve what you want to do, although not in the way
you wanted to do it. My understanding is that you want to provide input to
the Democratic party to influence its future.

My knowledge is that any means of simply creating a one way information flow
of ideas and the inevitable push of complaints, does not bring about change,
any more than does brainstorming and other think tank approaches to
problems. I have met with many many city, county, province planners and they
all have the same challenges. Even when they are willing to receive all of
that data, cull through it to get what is valuable, come up with new policy
papers/plans and so on, the net result is that when they present their work
to the public, it is generally what the planners call “ a blood bath” of
complaints and dissatisfaction.

There are a number of books including (I recommend) the Change Handbook
edited by Peggy Holman and Tom Devane, Berrett-Koehler publishers, 1999 that
speak to the process of bringing about change, what is needed, and what
methods exist to bring change about. A common ingredient is to get a
critical mass to “buy in” to the new, to the ideas while simultaneously
stirring the passions to be involved in the new and simultaneously creating
opportunities for that involvement. OST is at the top of my list when it
comes to achieving this and served us and the country well in our For the
Love of Canada. No one need remember who and how the outcomes were achieved,
or the influence that we had. And that is part of being totally present and
totally invisible in facilitating a large mass of people, a whole country.

Blessings,
Birgitt