New Party/Democrats, Change, David Rupley,et. al.

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 14:35:07 PST 2003

OS Listserv denizens:

Below is a posting I've been trying to get onto the list serve from my other
ISP where I get all of the OS Listserv postings.  I've hit reply button
several times in a past couple of weeks but none of my postings appear so I'm
doing it through Joelle's name at the moment while I get figured out why I
get all OS Listserv postings but can't reply.  Must be something I'm doing or
not doing.  Or, my ISP is doing or not doing.  That ISP is hctc, btw, my
address there is jpeseeker at hctc.com

However, I wanted to contribute to the discussion about political change by
suggesting a look at one guy who has a Very Big Idea.  You might find it
intriguing and you might not.

Best Wishes,

Paul Everett
jpeseeker at aol.com

Dear OS Listserv Friends:

I've been following this thread for some time.  My cynical side also wonders
if there is
hope for either party and I doubt it because of the money that has bought
them both, lock, stock and barrel.  But, let us not call it 'the New
Democratic Party" because it needs to not be associated with either party, so
let us find another name that implies what it is meant to be---whatever that
may turn out to be.

I've hesitated to bring this forward because I myself am not convinced it is
'the answer', but it is 'an answer' by one of my good friends, Jim Rough.
So, below is a message he wrote for the Creative Problem Solving Institute
leaders and attendees, which is the most venerable creativity organization in
the US, having been the progenitor of most, if not all, other creativity
institutes in the world. History is too long to type but you can find it at
www.cef.org, I think.

Jim believes this idea, which also includes a Wisdom Council, a very
different but also
similar OS, is what is needed to get ourselves right.  I offer it to you, if
you are
interested.  "Whoever goes there is ........."  :)

On a related subject, the book "The Lexus and the Olive Tree", by Thomas
Friedman (NY Times Foreign Correspondent) is simply excellent.  It's in
paperback.  I'm prompted to say that OST is a fellow or parallel traveler in
this global change that is going on and is so enabling of the macro-change
postulated by Friedman.

Best Regards,

Paul Everett

Jim's Letter:

Dear CPSI Members,

In this time of stressing over the possible war in Iraq, global
warming, economic decline, threat of terrorism, etc. ... we need
deliberate creativity. I want to update you about my efforts in this
area.

For many years I've been conducting seminars on how ordinary people
can apply "deliberate creativity" to the big issues and get real
results. ( See http://www.ToBe.net )

On the night of May 9th, 1993 a big breakthrough occured -- how
"deliberate creativity" can be established within society as the
official thinking process. It's how all of us can participate in the
key decisions -- think creatively about them, reach consensus and
build a sense of global community in the process. It's a REALISTIC
way to rapidly and positively improve all the big issues we face.
Plus, it would transform how democracy, economics, and national
community work.

Over the years, CPSI has played a crucial role in helping me turn
this concept into something people can appreciate. The first
presentation on it was at the CPSI of 1993--a night flite to just a
few people. Since then, there have been other presentations on what I
now call "the Wisdom Council". Maybe you remember some. In the 1995
CPSI this effort took the form of an all-day conference on
"Innovations in Democracy".

Finally, I've completed a book on the concept: "Society's
Breakthrough! Releasing Essential Wisdom and Virtue in All the
People!"; I am in the midst of preparing a series of 30 minute videos
on it; some large-scale experiments are starting; and a non-profit
organization has been formed. (see http://www.WiseDemocracy.com)

Since many of you have been involved over the years and since it's in
our field of "deliberate creativity," I hope you will look into the
latest incarnations of this work. It's a fast-track path to global
transformation.

You can start reading the book at
http://www.SocietysBreakthrough.com.

Of course, I'd like you to buy a
copy but I'm willing to email it to you if you ask. There is also a
web radio interview at
http://12.162.161.64/cart/ProductDetail.asp?PR_ProductID=376 ... (Be
sure to skip the first 3 minutes of commercials for each of segments
3,4,5)

Jim

------------------

This was the list serve posting to which I have tried to reply.    Paul

"David Rupley, Jr., MD(H)" wrote:

   Alan and fellow list members,

   I have been a very quiet voyeur since my participation in OS on OS in
   Chicago.  As a intensely disgusted Republican, I have been reading this
   thread with interest.  My cynical side wonders if there is hope for either
   party, and liked the idea (from Peggy?) for a new party.  And yet, this
same
   cynicism/pragmatism suggests that we are fairly wed to the two party system
   and Bush seems to be too powerful leaving no real room for choice.  My
wife,
   a Democrat, points out that this same circumstance occurred resulting in
   FDR's nomination, a former Republican from a Republican family, as the
   Democratic candidate for President.  This gives me hope.

   It seems to me, from the above perspective, the opportunity lies in taping
   the passion of the cynics and drop-outs from the political process as well
   as the disgruntled Republicans to a New Democratic Party.  OST certainly
can
   help with the community building and clarification of the message.

   Dave Rupley
   dcrupley at bigplanet.com

Paul Everett
Sound Resources