Open Space in Nashville

Barry Owen owengroup at comcast.net
Mon Jan 20 08:30:27 PST 2003

Greetings . . . Got some things cooking in Nashville and thought I
would send a brief synopsis to the listserve. I have tried in the past
to get Open Space going in Nashville to no avail . . . Kinda fell into
the category of "selling" OST (and I don't think this is a thing to
sell - so I backed off and decided that whenever it starts is the
right time :-)

Well, I got a call from a local consultant who was very pleased to
know that there is someone in Nashville who knows OST and wanted to
meet with me - The result of the meeting is going to be an afternoon
of "introduction to Open Space" in which I will do a traditional
opening followed by a couple of hours of question/answer etc . . . The
invitees will be local consultants and local business leaders.

Within a week of that call, I was sitting in a planning meeting for my
real estate firm - The meeting was going South very quickly and I
suddenly realized that this organization was in crisis and was in
sheer panic . . . so when it ended, I captured the leadership and
suggested 2 days of Open Space. They dove at the idea and within a
month we had found the perfect place and held our first 2 day company
retreat in Open Space.

The company is less than a year old and has grown from 0 to 68 agents
with a staff of 3 administrative. The time has come for the core group
of people (6 people) who started the company to pass the baton to what
is called the ALC (Associate Leadership Council) as the "governing
body" of the organization.

The retreat was to be the "instrument" for effecting this passing of
the baton. By all appearances, this event was a blinding success. The
results are still happening - Many immediate changes including the
decision to revamp training, recruiting . . . ALL in-house programs
are under review by self-appointed committee.

36 of our 70 person membership attended (Phenominal in the sense that
all agents are independent contractors . . . there was NO external
pressure to get people to come - Self selection).

Anyhow, I thought I would give a little flavor of this to the
listserve that we are starting to open a bit of space in
Nashville . . . and the word is that more Open Space opportunities are
forthcoming both from our real estate firm (locally, regionally, and
Nationally) and from other local organizations.

Wishing everyone well . . . and sending a ton of love and positive
energy towards the Middle East where my Father is doing some
incredible work with some incredible people.

Barry Owen
The Owen Group
Keller Williams Realty
The fastest growing, most innovative real estate firm in North America
615.568.2123