Request for Proposal

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 28 06:58:24 PST 2003

Re: Request for ProposalIn our workshops, I always stress a big CAUTION
regarding the promises made regarding an OST meeting. Harrison's list, which
I believe Ralph that you are talking about, is "1. Every issue that anybody
cares about enough to raise will be on the table; 2. All issues will receive
as much discussion as people care to give them; 3. All discussion will be
captured in a book, and made available to participants; 4. All issues will
be prioritized; 5. Related issues will be converged; 6. Responsibility will
be taken for next step actions"

#1 can be a promise from a multi-day OST meeting. I have found with many
many groups that people do not get the most important topics to them up on
the agenda until Day 2.
#2 is only true if the meeting design allows the time for lots of
discussion. I've been noticing on the list short time frames/short meetings
as part of the design.
#3 only if in the design
#4 only if in the design
#5 only if in the design
#6 only if in the design

This brings me to the question of "what can we promise as deliverables?".

Birgitt