Givens (was: Already-thereness, Empowerment and Such)

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Wed Feb 19 07:59:52 PST 2003

Dear Artur,
here is the story on the follow up meeting (my present practice).
1. The date for the follow up meeting, including beginning and ending
time and the location are set by the planning group even before the
invitation for the os is distributed.
2. The information under 1. is included prominently in the invitation
(sort of like saying: folks, this is not just a one time event but
things will happen and we need to keep track of them)
3. The information under 2. is placed on the back cover of the book
of proceedings that is created during the open space. Here, the
questions that will structure the follow up meeting are stated: What
did we agree upon back in xyz at the open space? What took place in
the meantime? What are the next steps? and in a couple of sentences
people are directly invited to it: This is a meeting for all of you
who are interested and especially for those that outed themselves as
chairpeople for projects agreed upon.
4. After the os a letter goes out to everyone with copies of the
agreements reached at the end of the open space (often there is not
enough time to produce a complete documentation for everyone and only
those got copies of the agreements that volunteered to be
chairpeople) and a more explicit invitation to the follow up
meeting....including such things as: bring new people that joined
your task force after the os, there will be food and drink, etc.
5. At the follow up meeting people sit in a half circle facing
pinwalls (this is a German invention ...sort of a lightweight board
you can pin paper to) or tables turned up on their ends or just a
wall with some mementos from the os that they had been part of. There
is a greeting by the sponsor. I then ask them to think back and share
memories, odd stuff, surprises from the open space. This takes just 5
minutes. Then I introduce them to the design which is posted on a
piece of flipchartpaper. People are asked to state the projects that
are present. The names of the projects are written on separate
prepared sheets of flipchartpaper with areas for "what did we agree
upon", "what happened since then", "who took part today", "reporter".
After 15 minutes we gather again and each group reports in 60 seconds
on their status. Just a quick check. Next round people go into the
same groups again, new piece of flipchart paper with fields for "next
steps, who will do what with whom when, what ressources do we need",
"next date", "who took part today", "reporter". For this session
there are 40 minutes, including a selforganized break. People gather
again and report, 120 sec per project. There is some discussion,
questions and in 10 to 20 minutes its done.
6. While the group rearranges to sit in a real circle to have a
closing session some intrepid soul is at the copying machine to copy
the A4 sheets the groups condensed their reports and next steps on so
that by the time we are finished people can take the complete
documentation.
7. Just before the closing circle commences people are asked whether
there is anything they would like to plan as a group. Often, they
decide to meet again, just the same way, 4 months or so later to
touch base, see who else joinde in etc
(I had a follow up meeting a couple of days ago on an open space that
took place last November with 230 youths on "we stick together -
prejudice is out" ... in the follow up meeting a group of 15 youths
decided to have an os on "love between german and foreign youths" a
really virulent topic in the Berlin of today)
8. This whole procedure take 3 to 3,5 hours, I have done it 50 times
or more, reducing the design to bare bones and it works grand.

The sponsor, of course, is present.
Its not an open space in the os-t sense.
People move as if they were in os. The Law of Two Feet is posted and
explained.

Would like to hear how you other guys out there do follow up
meetings.
love
michael

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:44:52 +0000, Artur Ferreira da Silva wrote:

>At 12:20 19-02-2003 +0100, Pannwitz, Michael M wrote:
>
>>In my practice I charge a flat fee for facilitating an os-event. It
>>includes the planning sessions, setting up the room etc., being the
>>facilitator and conducting a followup meeting. If the client does not
>>want the follow up, still the same fee. Some turn me down, most take
>>me up on it.
>

>Hello Michael:
>
>Can you please clarify what is this follow up meeting? Is a meeting only
>with the sponsor? A new shorter OST?
>
>Thanks
>
>Artur
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.