opening space...empowerment and motivation

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Tue Feb 18 16:34:12 PST 2003

Greetings, Ashley ~

Another fine fellow on this list, Winston Kinch, mentioned some time
back that he was preparing to facilitate an OST event for a group who
use the focusing process which originated with a book by Eugene T.
Gendlin titled (surprisingly) Focusing.  I think there's something very
powerful about this stuff for people who do what you're setting about to
do.  As I understand it, the process is a form of gentle being-with that
uses silence and open-ended questions to help another person access
their own truth and understanding of the world.  There are no
preconceived values or tellings or teachings, only wonderings and
responding tos.  According to the book and people who do this work, the
process helps people name a feeling or concept that had not been
articulated before, and in the naming the person is able to shift to a
deeper understanding.

This process captures much of what I value about OST:  lack of
preconceived notions or values or constructs, an invitation to
authenticity and authentic learning, and a surprising/predictable
internal shifting and deepening of understanding.  I think this is what
you're trying to get at.  As I understand it, this process is all about
helping another open their internal space and deepen their understanding
of themselves and their world.

You can learn more by going to www.focusing.org
<http://www.focusing.org/> .  There are some very good articles there
about using focusing with children.  Some provide a transcript of how
the facilitator/teacher used the process.   I found some very nice
examples of skillful following.

This process is different from OST in that the facilitator/counselor
does not attempt to be invisible to the Other, and very deliberately
(and perhaps lovingly) interacts in (without attempting to direct) the
growth of the Other.

Good luck in the work you've set out to do in the world.

Julie