opening space...empowerment and motivation

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Feb 18 16:13:15 PST 2003

Ashley:

I think this is the crux of what we have been discussing, whether or not
it is possible to even do what you are asking.

But since you put it out there, I'll reply with a nice excerpt from a
book I recently noted in my Open Space weblog:

"See the world as energy, and become responsible for your energy.
Realize that everything you do, say, and touch, everything you pass -
even for a fleeting second - is affected and changed by you. You impact
the animals and plants; the air, water, and buildings; and people - the
energy of each drops or rises to reflect the subtle etheric pressure you
place on it.
When you are angry, fearful, mean and vindictive, the energy of the room
you are in starts to wobble and act chaotically. It metaphysically
starts to implode. Anyone standing nearby will be robbed of energy and
pulled down. Everything gets sucked into the vortex of your negative
implosion.
With perception comes responsibility. Understand that if you are
infinite you are everywhere, and you can be anywhere, and you are inside
all things, and you affect them. Remember that the solidity of the world
is an illusion created by the speed at which atoms oscillate. If they
slowed down just a little, you'd be able to walk through walls. In an
out-of-body experience, you have consciousness inside a subtle body that
we believe weighs four grams. You can pass right through the wall.
In effect, physical reality is both opaque and ethereal - just a
collective feeling. It's only by habit that you consider yourself solid.
In a sense, you are a collection of particles, transmuted from being in
the solid-particle state of physical existence to the more ethereal
wave-state.
In the wave-state, you are an amorphous oscillation, existing at no
particular place in space or time, with no particular human definition.
That wave state contains your consciousness and can be driven by your
force of will. Through it, you have an immense potential to exert
yourself on the etheric reality. The wave can move, so you move. It's
everywhere, so you can be everywhere."
*       Stuart Wilde, Silent Power
I think this is to say, one does it with the subtle influence of
rippling action.  Empower oneself and the possibility that others will
do the same becomes more likely.   There are few things more threatening
to those who would close space around us than people who have opened
space within.  And there are few things in the world more inspiring to
me.
In Open Space, my practice of facilitation is rooted very much in
understanding what is open and what is closed for me.  I address the
self-critic that gnaws away inside me.  I ask myself questions, like the
ones Byron Katie poses to test my limits and assumptions.  My aim is to
arrive at the point when I ring my bells in a place that is centered,
grounded, empowered and inviting.  If I can be there, then I can walk
the circle and point out the principles and the Law, and be a conduit
for the invitation that the sponsor has issued.  Then it's over to the
people, and my role becomes one of holding space, like the pillars in a
vaulted chamber.  I try to keep things open, pushing back a little at
those who would close things down.  And if people come to me with
questions or statements or needs, I ask the two immortal questions
introduced to me by Michael Herman:
"What do you really want to do?" and "Fine, why don't you take care of
it?"
I find that these two questions form a practice that does more to hold
space open than anything.  If I can't ask these questions without
residual feelings of "I should do this." then I can't truly sit in the
quiet, inviting place that is necessary for empowerment to happen around
me and without me.  The moment I think I can do things better,
especially when it comes to meeting someone else's stated needs, is the
moment I lose my power, and the moment I close their space down a
little.
So for me it's a quantum thing.  Keep the possibilities always open.
Meegwetch!
Chris
PS  Sorry I keep generating these long replies.  I seem to be on a roll.
---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation
Open Space Technology