Already-thereness, Empowerment and Such

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 18 15:18:04 PST 2003

Dear Harrison,
As you know, some years ago I developed the Genuine Contact program as a
vehicle to assist leaders, consultants, and others who care about
organizations to learn how to develop as a conscious Open Space
Organization. The word "conscious" is very important. Just as yoga and
meditation are vehicles for the individual to become "conscious" of who
he/she is within an interconnected universe, there are processes that assist
collectives of people (an organization) become conscious of themselves as
Open Space Organizations. These organizations are mindful, aware, work with
the great Open Space of the universe of infinite potential, and an infinite
array of physical probable events. One exceptional process to assist us in
working  with what is already there, is OST. And there are other processes
that also are used to work with the great Open Space when OST is not the
appropriate method or window.

I and colleagues who also work with the Genuine Contact program for the
development of the conscious Open Space Organization have now worked with a
number of organizations that make frequent use of OST meetings as a way of
facilitating many meetings and conducting other meetings using processes
such as Whole-Person-Process Facilitation or Whole-Person
Process-Facilitation (thanks to Tova for the hyphens and beautiful
emphasis).  I recently wrote a summary to the list of what an organization
who has been working as a conscious Open Space Organization reported to me
after five years of working this way. There is also the story (which many of
you have read), alas still in draft form, of my work with the first
intentional conscious Open Space Organization at
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/articles_2.html

I think that your Interactive Learning Organization concept is interesting,
and I remember learning it from you with a diagram that had the reactive
organization in the core of a circle, surrounded by the responsive
organization, surrounded by the proactive organization which in turn was
surrounded by the interactive organization and finally in the outer layer,
with your emphasis that there were moments but no organizations had achieved
it--the inspired organization. I remember the emphasis at the time was that
it was a difficult leap but one that organizations needed to make, to get
from proactive to interactive. And I remember offering to you a diagram that
was in reverse to this, with the inspired organization in the center of the
circle, always present within whatever covered it over. This was congruent
with my belief that Spirit is always present and simply covered up by masks,
illusions, barriers. Based on this belief, my experience of OST is that it
is a window to what is already present, bringing it to our consciousness. My
experience of the conscious Open Space Organization is that it is also a
window to what is already present, to Spirit everywhere, to all potential.
And so, in relating this to you again now, I wonder if you would agree that
the Open Space Organization is NOT the Interactive Organization but is
indeed the In-spired Organization that works with Spirit. I had hoped for a
long time that you would start using the words Open Space Organization and I
am pleased that this has caught on.

I also know that the "conscious" Open Space Organization cannot be developed
by simply having a series of OST meetings.

 I read with interest your concept of self organization as providing a
reasonable account for our progress from the moment of the Big Bang until
now. An interesting theory, but a theory or a conceptual framework none the
less.

Another theory would be less linear cause-effect in approach. If the past,
present and future exist here in our NOW, what we each experience as our
reality is very much dependent on the window we choose to look through. The
window has a frame--our beliefs. If what we experience with OST is what is
already present although we needed to bring it into our conscious attention,
we are fortunate indeed because within OST we always end up seeing people's
individual and collective beauty and greatness. If what we experience within
the conscious Open Space Organization is what already exists but we needed
to bring it to our conscious attention, we are again fortunate to see the
beauty and grace of Spirit at work through us.  I suggest a theory that all
that we experience and can experience is already present and that we are
simply at all times making choices (consciously or unconsciously) from
amongst what already exists. We can be conscious and deliberate creators
based on what we focus on, or we can be creators by default if we believe
that it all just happens. The universal law that I would attribute this to
is the Law of Attraction. And the theory includes my awareness that energy
cannot be created or destroyed. It simply is.

Because we need to let go of old beliefs and develop new ones to understand
that "we are already there", healing circle work including griefwork is a
map to assist us.

Blessings to you and to all with whom you make Genuine Contact,
Birgitt

Birgitt  Williams of Dalar International Consultancy
http://www.dalarinternational.com

Mentoring for Organizational Effectiveness

view the calendar for upcoming training at
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html

We invite you to join the list serve at
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact

Mailing address: Po Box 19373, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 Raleigh,
North Carolina USA 27613

Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599

"I believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. I know that
organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results
including wealth, prosperity, and abundance. Daily, these organizations
attend to their health and balance. Participating in the Genuine Contact
program takes you on a learning journey of HOW to achieve the healthy and
balanced organization (the conscious Open Space Organization).”  Birgitt
Williams, Dalar International Consultancy

---