Help! Client's Three Week Worries

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Feb 11 22:12:09 PST 2003

Doug--

Since you know your clients, and will be in the room with them, you will know
better than I will what might make sense.

My general principle is to stay calm and confident, and not explain any more
than is necessary.  It does seem to help a bit to point out, in response to
particular questions or concerns, that even the details of the Open Space
conference are designed to reinforce the idea of personal responsibility, and
of course they do want people to get involved and help to implement the ideas
they care about.

You can say things like "It always very exciting to me to see how this works
out!"
Like an affirmation or a post-hypnotic suggestion, this seems to work a bit
on the subconscious level, as well as being reassuring without promising
specific outcomes.

I think I might focus on the opportunities to build relationships with people
they don't usually work with. . .the catering arrangements. . .greeting
participants as they arrive--and not give too much time to design issues.
Maybe end the meeting ahead of schedule.

Doug, I don't think you need advice.  It is going to work.

Joelle