Empowerment and other matters ( reply from birgitt)

Seamus McInerney crossroadsfacilitation at eircom.net
Fri Feb 21 12:51:46 PST 2003

Hi Brigitt,
I recognise what you have said about empowerment (1) and (2) but can you expand a little on stage 3, retention of memory.

In anticipation,
Shay

OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> wrote:

> Dear friends who are following this thread on empowerment,
> I have learned that there are three modes of empowerment. The first mode of
> empowerment is to achieve detachment  from outcome. The second is to embody
> personal force and power, knowing that each of us within us holds the key to
> create change and each of us within us has the resources that we need to do
> so. In this second mode of empowerment, it is critical to create the
> personal world in the image of your choosing (will is required) and to
> engage in focused action. The third mode of empowerment is retaining memory.
> This retention of memory is what we each draw on for knowledge and wisdom
>
> I have explored these modes of empowerment for the individual and for the
> collective of individuals (otherwise known as an organization).
>
> Sometimes choices are to use empowerment to nurture life. And sometimes to
> destroy life.
>
> Does OST assist the individual or collective in detaching from outcome? I
> say no. By working with passion, it does the opposite, often.
> Does OST assist the individual or collective to embody personal force and
> power and knowledge that the resources lie within. I say yes.
> Does OST assist in the retaining of memory. I think it has more potential
> for this than is commonly worked with.
>
> I offer this to think about.
> Birgitt

Crossroads Facilitation
50 Carrigdhoun,
Waterpark,Carrigaline,Cork
+353 87 783 7557
http://homepage.eircom.net/~pobaleire
"Building bridges and getting you over them"