NEW SOLSTICE MYTHS

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 12:04:47 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/25/03 8:51:12 AM, PeterEsther at charter.net writes:

<< Does anyone else feel such alienation from old religious myths? >>

Peter, Esther--

At the same time that we are searching for new myths and traditions that are
meaningful, I treasure Christmas stories, songs and traditions as a way of
honoring my own childhood and my connection with my ancestors.  I don't like
going into stores in November and December and being bombarded by pop versions of
Christian carols and secular seasonal songs.  We try to be intentional about
what and how we choose to celebrate, searching out musical events or worship
services that feel meaningful to us personally.  I choose Christmas time to send
gifts to a few organizations whose work I support--especially those that are
working to create new ways of supporting people.

I believe that we are living in a time when the stories are changing.  For
me, finding a small way that I can help make a small part of the world more
peaceful--helping to make peace in an organization, or in my extended family--is a
way of bringing the Christmas good tidings into the present.

My two cents' worth--

Joelle