OS format flexibility?

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Dec 17 10:12:50 PST 2003

As you have gathered – folks do everything under the Sun from 1 hour to
three or four days. And it also seems that some basic rules of thumb can
be helpful. Just remember it takes an hour and a bit to get going (open
the space, post the issues, etc) so if you only have three hours, I find
you are cutting things a little close. To be sure you can have 3  45 min
sessions, and with a group that is experienced with Open Space, one hour
can cover a lot of ground. That said, I also find that with anything
less than a day the participants will discover that they feel rather
like two little boys on a rainy Saturday --- just about the time they
have all the toys out and are really having a good time, Mother comes in
with the clean-up call, and it is all over. Basic rules of thumb for me
are: 1 Day – you will get most of the issues out, but not terribly
deeply. 2 Days – There will be a few more issues discussed (posted) and
almost all of them will be dealt with in some depth. 2 and ½ Days and
you can get everything in priority order, related issues converged, and
actions planned. I have gone on as long as 4 days, but I find the
fatigue level begins to show. There are two other things I try to keep
in mind when talking with the client about “How Long?” First is the
level of complexity and conflict. If you have a hugely complex issue
laced with lots of conflict, I just wouldn’t think about anything less
that 2 or better 2 ½ days. I know this can sound like a lot of time, but
when the stakes are high, people will spend the time. And there are also
lots of cases where groups have done in 2 days what they knew could not
be accomplished in less than a year. So it ends up being time well
spent. A second thing I bring to people’s attention is the whole
question of Proceedings. Records of conversation can certainly be done
in a 1 day setting, but I find the level of quality vastly improves when
two days are allotted. Lastly – I think you will find most of what I
just outlined in Open Space Technology: A User’s Guide” :-)

Harrison