An opportunity for Civil Conversation

Ilse Debler ilse.debler at t-online.de
Sat Dec 13 04:40:09 PST 2003

> Artur wrote:
>
> PS: Anyhow I agree with Bush that France, Germany and Russia should not be
> included in the "reconstruction of IRAK". After all, if they have not
> helped in the destruction in the first place, why should they be allowed
> profit from the reconstruction?

I suppose and hope this was meant cynically only - otherwise I think of it
as an embarrassingly naive statement.
Having never wanted this war ('helping in the destruction') it is more than
annoying
that we taxpayers should bleed to pay for the reconstruction. Who else do
you think
has to give money for it? It is not the people who profit - rather the
opposite: social
standards are alarmingly decreasing in the recession we're facing.
I would wish for deepler reflection on the issue instead of applause for
questionable
means in the first place .
There's no need for distasteful jokes which make the war mongerers look
right and the rebuilders look wrong. Black and white philosophy is
redundant!

~ Ilse, Germany