OS and balanced scorecards?

Meg Salter meg at megsalter.com
Wed Dec 10 10:40:46 PST 2003

To add to this thread, I have worked with Balanced Scorecard Language. The most recent thinking I have seen on this is that Learning and Employee Development  >>leads to better Operational Processes >>> leads to better Customer satisfaction/ retention >>> better bottom line financial outcomes.  As Lilly said, a way of expanding the conversation from "just the bottom line" outcomes to those things that impact it. typically, various measures are assigned to assess these four areas. I think OST could be a great way to converse aroung the meanings and 'drivers' in each of these areas, and ultimately lead to better quantitative measures [which often seem to be pulled out of a hat]. don't let the language dissuade you - GO for it!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
(416) 486-6660
meg at megsalter.com

anced Scorecard (BSC) is the invention of two Harvard profs who wanted to expand the scope of attention of corporate senior management when it comes to strategic decision making.  Besides Financials, it addresses Customer, Learning and Competitor quadrants.

If the municipality has asked Thomas to 'open' the space the opportunity is to engage people who are usually only 'providers' of information for the BSC and see it disappear into aggregates.  When used in the spirit it was itended, BSC is a means of opening wider conversations that help make better decisions.

Hope this helps

Lilly Evans
Director
Strategic Learning Web                  'Tomorrow's Leaders Today'
Virginia Water, Surrey UK

tel. +44 1344 843 653
email: lilly3653 at aol.com