Measurement and stuff

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Dec 3 12:19:10 PST 2003

Ralph, Chris, Chris et al,

For 28 years, my husband worked for a corporation, in a program which
encouraged change and improvement that were very measurable in "hard
numbers"--dollars saved, delivery times shortened, quality improved.  They were conscientious
about tracking the numbers and conservative about what the program saved,
which was in the millions of dollars.

And they still heard the same kind of cynicism and doubt that we hear re:
Open Space or other facilitative methods.  I think that measurable or not
measurable is a little beside the point.  Chris may be closer to the truth when he
points to the collision of incompatible stories.

Anyway, even if I, as facilitator, walk on water, I can't guarantee results.
The results are up to the client, for better or for worse.  I'll support them
any way I can, but they have to do the work themselves.

Joelle

PS--Love the poem, Ralph.  Gives me a chill on the back of my neck.