OS or not OS?

Dominique Proudhon dominique at dproudhon.com
Mon Dec 29 07:42:34 PST 2003

Many blessings to all of you in this coming new year, OS explorers !
May 2004 bring each of you many opportunities to serve and feel alive.

Would appreciate some input/encouragements on the following:
Am debating with myself over the appropriateness of OS to help in the
resolution of an open conflict between a municipality and some local
interest groups over the destruction of a city park to build a new
stadium. People are occupying the trees, police was called upon several
times, medias are involved... a wonderful mess!!
I am wondering if my hesitation is due to my facilitator/mediator
practice "contamination" (which tells me that a conventional mediation
process is more appropriate) or if it is actually the product of "good
sense" (I've used OS successfully on issues where decisions had not been
taken yet and future possibilities where debated, but never on issues
where a decision is being challenged, which might be less effective?)
Any thoughts, examples or recommendations?
Thanks.

Dominique Proudhon
Group Facilitation
Problem solving