Open Spacing Schools & an Xmas Competition in catalysts of self-organising

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 04:45:57 PST 2003

Happy Xmas Open Spacers , friends

I realize that some of you have already done stuff in schools before but
over the next 5 years (partly because my daughter is 7) I want to get to
an experiment which puts open space throughout a school from 6th grade
(or 12 years) up

By which I mean that once a year the main parent, teacher, kid exchange
includes a one-day open space at each grade (6? Up)

I am mapping back a personal model (21 years brewing
http://www.normanmacrae.com/netfuture.html ) for a future view of the
world where I believe a person will be most productive if they can
select much more than in the past their 10 greatest mentors at any time
(10 might be 5 or 12 but its of that order). I assume that historically
typically we start with mother and father as mentor, then add in another
family member or school teacher, and then it goes rather random unless
you have the luck of going off the academic track into sports or
creativity or happen to have a great family business (or something
geographically local) to go into that just accidentally matches your
talents.

( If you have to have an academic track to this model I would suggest
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's work on the way people enjoy learning and
accomplishing presence)

I am pretty sure that with the miracle combination of open space and the
virtual matching life to deep learning that email provides, those who
earliest get more selection and open communal guidance from supportive
peers who are also selecting mentors will get in effect better schooling
for life's opportunities. If we could prolong childlike inquiry
patterns, I could buy more of that contextualization instead of standard
examinations too

I realise that what I have written is only half-cooked as yet. But if
anyone would like to form an email ring and once we've worked out 'how
to do it' we will of course report back then please contact me

(I do also intuit a few other experiences from 2003
http://www.enterpriseforall.info  - eg attending a wonderful open space
by Roma and Lin (supported by 2 banks NatWest and Royal Bank of
Scotland, and including feedback with UK Treasury) on urban regeneration
which point me to the same rationale of let's make sure we future-proof
part of the school curriculum in ways that the young (not just the lag
of the old) should have a vibrant voice in

Over in Europe, there are hi falutin things like Europe Vision 2010 by
which our 25 countries are supposed to be as good as the world gets at
knowledge society and nurturing human/social capital's diversity; my
guess is open space schools as a wee catalytic experiment gives people
one of the best shots of achieving 2010 (of course I would delight in
hearing your idea of another catalytic concept, because we people do
need a few great chances to self-organise in my view...)

Happy Xmas and Transparent New Year to all, Chris Macrae

wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk (in spite of this address my daughter's in a
school in Maryland, US)

www.valuetrue.com