FW: OST =? popular education

Mikk Sarv mikk at elfond.ee
Thu Aug 7 01:20:23 PDT 2003

Dear all,
actually with getting to Fyn island in Svenmark we are getting into the very
heart of popular education. Perhaps our Scandinavian colleagues can tell
more about the one and half century history of popular education in
Scandinavia, which originated from two mens, Nicolaus Frederik Severin
Grundtvig and Christian Koldt ideas in mid-nineteenth century. Grundtvig, a
lutherian priest with great visions shaped the idea for popular education -
folk high schools for adults and free schools for children, nowadays there
are also kindergartens following the same basic ideas in Denmark. Christian
Koldt realised the Grundtvig ideas and started the real schools just on the
same island Fyn, where we are going with OSonOS.
Grundtvigs basic idea was teaching with story-telling.  Orality, the
mundtlighet was important starting point for whatever learning.  This is
very close to OS, as everyones personal passion, revealed with oral
commitment for the topic before audience should have made Grundtvig and
Koldt to smile with delight.
Grundtvig had also verbalised the five steps for spiritual development like
HO did in his writings, which could be easily compared between each other.
I hope we can initiate a group about Grundtvig and popular education during
OSonOS in Fyn!
With greetings,
Mikk Sarv