Fun in Open Space

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 9 05:03:23 PDT 2003

For me, having fun -- in Open Space and elsewhere (Oh Yes -- we are always
in Open Space) is perhaps the most significant indication that something
useful is being accomplished. I am not talking about to sort of induced fun
that seems to happen when you go to an "amusement park" although maybe it
even applies there too -- but the sort of fun I am thinking about is that
deep sense of satisfaction and joy experienced when you are doing something
you love, and doing it well. And when fun breaks out in an Open Space, I
know as nothing else can tell me that -- everything is coming up roses.
This has nothing to do with the gravity of the issues under discussion, or
the level of conflict experienced -- even all that can be fun. So when Alan
notes,

"On the second issue I also believe that it is going to be 'interesting' to
observe the influence of people who see articles such as the above and try
OST for themselves - without any connections to professional practitioners,
training, or publications. As Larry in Toronto and doubtless others have
commented: "Folk who are being exposed to OST from people who don't really
understand it are not seeing the profound implications" - including having
FUN. How may this 'phenomenon' fit with 'our'(?) principles?"

-- I guess I could feel really sad an upset. I am pretty clear why fun
doesn't put in an appearance. It has everything to do with control, and the
fact that for many of us, we have been taught that if you are having fun,
you can't be working, and therefore nothing useful can get done. Happens in
schools. Come on Children, stop playing, it is time to go to work and learn
something! How horrible!!! For me when fun stops, learning ceases, and the
possibility of useful outcomes reduces to zero.

So when this happens in Open Space -- how maddening! And it is also true
that even in those situations where folks attempt to open space very
seriously (as in, We will do this process correctly -- and you will do what
I say) -- fun, more often than not, shows up despite the effort to suppress
that awful thing. I am truly sorry for the folks who miss out on the fun,
and even sorrier for the facilitator who is working so hard, getting it all
right. But for those, who in spite of best efforts to the contrary DO HAVE
FUN, I think this is a wildly powerful, never to be forgotten, learning
experience, every bit as unique as discovering Open Space for the first
time, as indeed it is discovering Open Space for the first time. And one
way or another, I think we all have to go through this. Prior to the
experience, everybody I know of is sure it "won't work." And certainly
won't be fun. Then it does and it is -- and a light goes on.  So I can see
what Larry is talking about -- but I guess I choose to look at it as a
glass half full. Do it again, and you may get the whole enchilada.

Harrison

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA
phone 301-365-2093