OS and strategic planning

Avner Haramati avnerh at inter.net.il
Wed Apr 9 12:45:04 PDT 2003

Hi Jaime

A strategic planning story from the southern part of the Holy Land;
A regional council that governs on about 25 villages and Kibutzs decided to
use OST to their strategic planning (as they called it) for the next 5
years.They chose OST because their idea  was to have a participatory process
with maximum inhabitants.  The preparations with the sponsor (the head of
the council), the management of the region, the strategic planning team but
especially with the steering commitee of the OS were long ( 3-4 months) and
relatively complex. A lot of anxiety,  trust building from all sides, and
the enlisting of the population. We opened the space last November( I did it
with Tova Averbuch) for 1 1/2 days on the issue of `What future are we going
to build in  xxxx for us and our childeren - issues and oportunities`.
8 `heavy` issues were chosen and 5 another less chosen that people wanted to
take .
I took 1-2 months to start roling and by now all the teams (but one `messy`
issue that didn`t start) advance very well and it looks they are going to
conclude towards June (the target date).
The comunity is informed on the website in real time about the meetings,
proceedings, and there is an open invitation to whoever cares to join.
To their request I accompany the new steering commitee (that was created
after the OS) in their monthly meetings in order `to remind them to keep the
tuneof the OS`  It is heading by the sponsor and include the convenors of
the teams, the strategic planning team and some people that care.

All the best

Avner Haramati
Jerusalem