OS for people with disabilities

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat Apr 5 13:57:07 PST 2003

Dear Therese,
as I understand and attempt to practice facilitation I am not in the
business of "educating people" (countless times I am tempted pretty
badly but find that if I refrain, the group almost invariable does
the educating that they feel necessary all by themselves or I find
that my urge to educate has nothing to do with the needs of the
group).
I never tell a large group of people about toilet breaks and
telephone access, sometimes some information of that sort is given by
the sponsor as he opens the space and sometimes but rarely, someone
will ask questions in that direction and there is always someone else
in the group that volunteers the answer.
The data I have that supports the position of "nothing special be
done" is my observation that it opens the space for the group to do
the special things that need to be done, and the group always does
it. Selforganize.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 18:23:15 -0800, Therese Fitzpatrick wrote:

>As a convenor opens a meeting, it is an opportunity to advocate for
>inclusion of the disabled by openly discussing the accomodations that are
>available to the entire group:  this has the effect of educating the
>"normal" people as well as openly inviting the disabled to feel included.
>It is also an invitation to the non-disabled participants to see the
>disabled participants as real peole, as colleagues. It has been my
>experience that addressing disability accomodations in front of any meeting
>is a steady way to educate.  I know I was surprised, when I first developed
>friendships with physically disabled people, to learn how unintentionally
>they are so often excluded.  Ever since then I have spoken openly, at
>meetings I design and/or facilitate, to include disability accomodatons as a
>routine part of my logistics:  sometimes even at meetings where I am not
>expecting disabled participants.  Who knows who is going to show up?
>
>I have been surprised by a few comments on this list serve. Some people have
>  suggested that nothing special be done.  I would like to know what data
>might indicate that no special mention of disabilities would be the right
>way to go.
>
>If we can tell a large group about toilet breaks and telephone access, we
>can include the whole group and discuss EVERYONE"S needs, acting as if
>everyone's needs are entitled to be met.
>
>I have a permanent disability that is not visible to the eye.  I won't get
>started on how to include those persons in an event that have invisible
>disabilities . . . but I have opinions and experience if anyone is
>interested.

>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.