OS for people with disabilities

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 5 09:33:12 PST 2003

Theresa and others who have made recommendations for fuller inclusion of
those who are differently abled, thank you. If you are interested in making
recommendations regarding fuller inclusion of those with invisible
dis--abilities, I would be interested.

Here is what friends and colleagues along the way have taught me that I
would like to add to the list:
-some people are very environmentally sensitive and need non-florescent
lighting and good ventillation to fresh air
-some people are very environmentally sensitive to scents and in order not
to be ill, need a scent free environment so in the invitation people are to
be asked to wear no scents included scented hair gel and deodorant and
perfumes etcetera. I learned this one the hard way when people had to leave
a meeting due to someone's perfume.
-some people have been abused. In some cases this means that to be asked to
touch someone by holding hands in the closing circle or any other such
intimate act of group work is enough to make them ill. Recommendation: make
it clear that there is to be no expectation that requires physical contact.
I learned this one the hard way when I facilitated a closing circle years
ago.
-seniors and people on medications often cannot read fine print. A font size
of 14 or more is needed for them to participate in reading the reports.
-the theme, givens, and instructions need to be clear both to see and to
hear and to be repeated at least three times for those who have different
abilities in how they learn.
-always assume there are people in the room who cannot read/write. Include
in the instructions that if there are challenges with getting the topic up
in written form, to partner up with others to do so. Normalize this as much
as possible.

I too have found that dealing with different abilities right up front and
doing my best to ensure an environment that is inclusive of all, is one way
to assist the people involved.

I would like to learn more tips from those on the list who know more
regarding this.

Blessings,
Birgitt