A strange open space...

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 29 06:25:26 PDT 2002

Dear Michael, Lisa and Harrison,
Thanks for your insights - I feel clearer and more at peace now.... more
graciously spacious, if you will ;-)  or is that spaciously gracious :-P

Michael - I agree that the sponsor opens the space. I actually thought
the same thing when typing that 'I ... opened space' and was in too much
of a hurry and too lazy to search for another phrasing. So that bit was
OK, I believe. Also, the planning group did discuss the
presentation/students beforehand. So that wasn't it.

Lisa - I was careful to advocate arranging the 'presentation' in one of
the breakout rooms for the very reasons you cited. There were 3 time
slots and it happened to be the only discussion in the first round. I am
coming to rest in the 3rd principle (whatever happens...) regarding this
- thanks for your reminder and support!

Harrison Owen wrote:

> Well it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when the
> dominant group (numbers wise also is the major power player) just sit
> there and LOOK -- things could become a little quiet.
>
> This of course is an extreme case, but it might be suggestive. Or more
> likely, folks did just what they needed to, and that just didn't match
> your expectations. (smile)

Yes - my expectations were not realized - thank goodness, as that would
have only fed my illusion of 'knowing' or being 'in control'! I think I
was triggered by 2 things: my worry that the sponsor was unhappy and my
uncertainty about whether inviting the students was a good thing. There
is a lesson for me here in letting go - I did what I could re: the
sponsor. As for the students, I'll need to sit with that a bit more... I
like the bumblebee aspect and yet am not fond of the observer aspect....

Best wishes,
glory