OST, OD, etc.

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 27 16:42:12 PDT 2002

Hello All

Well- what an amazing conversation has ensued out of That question!! Thank you all for your comments.

In truth, now that Iook back, I was feeling a bit snarly, so I should perhaps recant any unintended slights on other communities/ practices/ approaches etc. I guess what really struck me - and still does - is how people are talking complexity/ self-organizing systems theory (and yes - this is conference talk, not client talk!)  and then still trying to organize systems. Or be experts. And how fundamental that is to our conception of the world - for so many. And how profound is the shift from that world view.

As Martin said , many people "get" self-organizing as a cognitive concept, but then implicitly treat it as another tool. Which puts us right back into/ speaks from the "world as machine" worldview. It is fundamentally not about doing, but about being (which is maybe why OST is so 'easy' to do). It is much easier to pick up a new, sexy doing tool, it is much harder to re-configure your mentality to "get" that life/ self-organizing is all about being. (and yet, once done - so much easier - graciously spacious!).

...........the pebbles continue to drop in the pools of my mind.........!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca